There is a big question mark on women’s safety & security in India. We are living in a country where sexual abuses and murders are daily incidences. In most of the cases, women are the victim of such horrible occurrences. Keeping that in mind, DSSG has come up with a list of 14 most important security tips that every girl should know. The safety of women has to be in priority and it is everyone’s responsibility to make this country a safer place for women where they can live and work fearlessly.
Basic Security Tips for women
The insecure environment for women may hold them back from participating in their professional careers and society. Women also have the right to live in this country without violence, harassment, and discrimination. A safe & secure atmosphere will help women to fulfill their dreams and make them independent. But the current situation is not completely safe for women.
Safety starts with awareness, therefore, DSSG has written down some important security tips that every girl should know. Read the following tips and try to remember them because these tips can save you from any unpleasant situation.
- Whenever you are traveling by public transport, always hold your bag tight, so that you can use it as a defense-object against the assailant.
- Avoid using a mobile phone unless extremely required while walking on a road because it can make you less vigilant. Using a mobile phone on the road can be an indication to the attacker that you are easy prey.
- Everyone should learn self-defense techniques to defend themselves in any unpleasant situation. If you are unable to get complete self-defense training then at least know some basic safety tips. We at dssg.in, post valuable safety tips from time to time.
- Don’t forget to share auto or cab number with someone in your family while traveling alone.
- Never post anything on your social media account which includes your address or contact number. Even posting the picture of your car along with the number plate, can reveal a lot about you.
- In case someone is constantly staring or following you, try to get into a crowded area or inform someone for help.
- Avoid going to remote areas in the office premises that have no CCTV cameras.
- Never take drinks from strangers or even friends at the party, pour your own drinks. In case you’ve left your drink unattended for even a minute, just leave it and get a fresh drink.
- Make yourself familiar with SOS feature of your mobile device to send instant help intimation to your chosen contacts.
- There are many applications available for both iOS and Android platforms that can assist you in case of any safety emergency. Some popular safety applications are: VithU App, Circle of 6 App, Life360 Family Locator App, I’m Shakti App, Famy Family Chat & Locator App, Watch Over Me App, Sentinel Personal Security SOS App.
- The Indian government has a separate women safety cell to provide instant help to the women and you can reach them by just dialing a four-digit number which is 1091.
- Always carry a pepper spray with you and keep it handy. But it is important to learn how to use it. Practice on dummy objects before actual implementation.
- In case you don’t have anything with you to fight back, the best option is to run. But in case running away immediately isn’t an option, try to use whatever you have, a key, any sharp object that you may have, nails, hair stick, etc.
- If you are living alone then try to be more vigilant and always lock your house door properly whenever you enter or exit the house.
Above mentioned security tips are essential for women safety and every girl must know these. Every girl has a right to education, healthcare, choice of career, choice of marriage partner, or the right to stay single, and above all, RIGHT TO SAFETY. It is the duty of all of us to make this country a safer place for women where they can live and work fearlessly.